For day 3 of BM#7, I am making baked pinwheels. I like baking crunchy snacks for 2 reasons, 1 they are healthy and 2 they save time when making in large batches.
Mushroom and onion form a very interesting combination. I think they are made for each other ingredients. I like the combination in any form, pasta, Chinese stir fry, stuffed mushrooms anything.
1 recipe of rough puff pastry1 packet button mushrooms chopped finely
2 medium onions sliced thinly
3-4 garlic cloves
1 tspn of cream (thicker the better)
1 tbsp grated cheese
Salt to taste
Oil for cooking
1) Heat a pan and add oil and add crushed garlic,onions and chopped mushrooms.
2) Add salt, pepper and sauté for a minute
3) Add cream and let it simmer. The mixture should be dry and not gravy like.
4) Roll out the puff pastry dough thinly, and cut in rectangular strips (1 inch width).
5) Place one such layer on the work top.
6) Put some cheese(I used paneer since I had some)
7) On the next layer place the mushroom mixture.
8) Now roll the two layers tightly to form a pin wheel.
9) Make more such pin wheels.
10) Line a baking sheet with greased paper and put the pin wheels on it. Pop this in a preheated oven at 220 degree for 10 min first.
8) Remove, and brush it with milk and put it back for 10 min more at lower temperature around 160-180 degrees.
9) Yummy mushroom and onion pinwheels are ready.
Because of the pastry dough, the cover becomes very crunchy, biscuit like.