3 cups coarse Chicpea Flour (Besan)
3 cups of Clarified Butter (Ghee)
2 cups of Sugar
2 tbsp Milk
1 tspn cardamom
few threads of Saffron (Kesar)
1 tspn Nuts Slivers (almonds, cashews)
1) In a large bowl, mix the flour, butter and milk and rub it with your hands until you get a grainy texture. Use finger tips as much as possible to do this activity. Most recipes ask you to sieve the mixture through colander, but I have not done it and still got the same (better) results.
2) In a large wok (kadai), put this mixture and sauté it till it loses the raw flavor. This will take about 15-20 min for the said quantity. Watch carefully to ensure that it does not burn. Set aside when done
3) In another pan, put the sugar and cover it barely with water. Let it simmer to form a syrup of 2 string consistency. Keep watching the consistency as this is the make/break step of this recipe.
4) Switch off the heat and add the roasted mixture along with the cardamom powder and mix until a mass is formed.
5) Grease a plate which is about 1 inch dip with some butter and pour the mixture in it. Spread it evenly and let it set for a couple of hours.
6) Garnish with nut slivers and cut in squares of diamonds.