The health benefits are derived from two of its main ingredients – Potatoes and Beetroot.
Potatoes although infamous for fattening is rich in carbohydrates and minerals like potassium, magnesium, phosphorus and zinc (Love revisting school chemistry – wish I could used Symbols!!). The fact that they are rich in carbohydrates make them an easy to digest food and is preferably given to patients so that they can quickly regain the much needed energy.
It is a good ingredient for people sufferring from high blood pressure, acidity, kidney stones and heart ailments due to its easy to digest property. If balanced with good amount of vegetables and removal of other carbohydrates (bread and rice) this can be a healthy component.
Beetroot is also a carb rich product and is popularly known for being a rich source of folic acid. It is used heavily in treating cancer patients due to its anti cancer properties.It also helps to reduce the cholestral levels.
All in all, I have a winner recipe in my hands as this can easily be eaten as a one dish meal.
Ingredients (For 2 people)
3 medium size potatoes
1 medium size beet root
2 tbsp chopped coriander
1 tspn crushed black pepper
salt to taste
2 tbsp Hung curd (To replace the regular mayo used in russian version)
1 tbsp yogurt/ curd
1) Boil, Steam or microwave potatoes and beet root separately. I micorwaved both and cubed in small bite size pieces.
2) In a bowl, mix the hung curd, salt and pepper and potatoes and mix well.
3) Add the curd/ yogurt and chopped coriander.
4) Strain the water from beet root and add just before serving (I did not bother to remove the water as I did not mind the bleeding and mixing which is removed to avoid the coloring).
5) Serve with grilled vegetables like egg plant, zucchini or sweet potato.