I learnt this soup from a little soup recipe book that I got complementary with my soup bowls that I used for my french onion soup. The recipe over the years ofcourse has been varied. Sometimes due to lack of all ingredients or sometimes to improvise. This is a good option to feed the kids who otherwise avoid dal chawal and veggies.
Ingredients (for 2)
1 small onion finely chopped
1 carrot finely chopped
1 stalk of celery finely chopped
1/2 cup peeled and cored apple
1/2 cup Split yellow lentils (Toovar dal)
1/2 cup cooked rice
5-6 black pepper kernels
1 tspn curry powder (use of your choice I used sambhar masala without red chilli)
1 tbsp coconut milk (optional – I avoided to control some calories)
1 tspn chopped coriander
1 tspn lemon juice
1 tspn oil
salt to taste
1) Soak the dal and cook it separately.
2)In a pan add some oil and add the onions, carrots, celery and saute for a minute.
3) Add the cloves, chopped coriander, mace and salt and continue sauteing till the vegetables are tender.
4) Add the toovar dal and some water to bring the soupe to desired consistency.
5) In a seperate pan fry the rice to make them crispy – This is optional, you can add the rice without frying them.
6) Add the crushed pepper and let it simmer for another 15 min.
7) Take the soup of the heat and add the coconut milk and stir in quickly, Once well mixed return it to the stove and let it simmer for another 5 min or so.
8) Add the lemon juice and serve
You can also blend the soup or sieve it to get a smooth texture.