I do not remember where did I get the recipe from as I have been blog hopping for a while this season. But the final confirmed recipe came from Popular marathi cookbook – Ruchira for technique and my Sis-in-law for the ingredients. I ended up with my own recipe as always.
2 cups of All purpose flour
3 tbsp Vegetable Oil/ Butter (salted)
2 tspn crushed black pepper
3/4 cup warm milk
salt to taste
food color (Optional)
Oil to fry
1) In a large bowl, take the All purpose flour.
2) Add Vegetable oil or butter,salt, pepper.. Watch the salt content in case you use salted butter.
3) Add warm milk and make a stiff dough
4) Divide in 3 parts and add food colors of your choice (Optional step)
5) Make small balls and roll out elongated puris.
6) 5) Using a cutter make thin strips in the center making sure that the ends are not separated.
7) Join the two ends using some milk.
8) Hold the top of the champakali and give it a twist , repeat at the other end.
9) Heat the oil in a deep frying pan, add one champakali at a time and let it cook on low flame.
10) Remove from heat when it turns golden in color