This winter special rice dish is made specially when you get the green beans(surti papadi) freshly available in market.
People in Mumbai would know that we are currently only shown some trailers of the winter movie. Which means that the season is yet to blossom to its peak. Thus, I do not see the papadi or the saag easily available atleast in the vicinity.
Not to be deterred by this, I went ahead and made this Lilva Rice (Wet rice) using whole moong dal.
When you find the green beans though in market please use them.
Ingredients (For 2-3 people)
1 cup rice (Surti Kolam preferred)
1/2 cup Green beans (shelled)
2 inch cinnamon stick
1/2 tspn whole black pepper
1 tbsp Clarified Butter (Ghee)
salt to taste
1/2 cup coriander
3-4 green chillies
1 bunch of green garlic leaves and cloves
1 inch ginger
1) In a pressure cooker heat some ghee (about 1 tspn) , add the cinnamon, cloves and black pepper.
2) Make the paste using the ingredients listed under the paste section.
3) Add this to the pan, and stir well.
4) Add the rice and green beans and stir again. Add 4 cups of water and salt to taste
5) Add the remaining butter and cover the pan.
6) Pressure cook for 3 whistles.
Serve with Buttermilk and more ghee.