Ingredients (for 30 small size rolls)
2.5 cups of whole wheat flour
1 tbsp all purpose flour( for gluten)
25 gms butter
1 cup milk
½ cup water
1 tspn salt (add more if you like)
3 tspn sugar
2 ¼ tspn instant active yeast (7gm)/ 15gm dry active yeast)
2 tbsp raisins +black currants +tuttifruti
1/2 cup pineapple jam (or any flavor)
1/4 cup almond meal/ crushed almond
1/4 dry apricot /black currants/candied peels
1) In a large basin, take the flour, salt, sugar and yeast(I had rapid rise so added it directly to the flour). Proof your yeast as instructed on the pack.
2) Mix the milk, butter and water. Heat it on low flame until the butter is melted.
3) Let it stand till it is luke warm.
4) Add this to the flour mixture. Knead the dough until it is soft. It will be stretchy and sticky to begin with.Do not add more flour or water unless absolutely necessary.
5) Cover the dough with wet kitchen towel or cling wrap. Let it sit until it doubles. About 50-60min. Ensure that it has doubled else it will smell yeasty later
6) For the filling, soak the apricots,black currant, candied peels, raisins in warm milk or water.
7) In a bowl take the pineapple jam. Add the soaked apricots and some black curants, raisins etc.
8) Add the almond meal to make it paste like mixture.The filling is ready. You can add more sugar if you like your filling to be sweeter.
9) Check the dough. Punch back the raised dough. Make small balls of the dough. Roll them out individually.
11) Fill each dough with filling and seal it from all ends.Shape this into a mini – bun.
12)Line a tin or baking sheet with parchment/wax paper.
13)Lay each filled bun about 1inch from each other.
14)Cover it for about 30 minutes so that it rises and becomes double in size.
15)Preheat the oven to 200c for 5-10 min.
16) Brush the buns with milk,butter and sugar mixture. Sprinkle the remaining soaked dry fruits on it. Press it lightly so that it gets stuffed in.
17)Bake these in the hot oven for about 25 min.
18)Remove, brush them again with the milk,sugar and butter mixture and bake for another 5 min.
Tip: The raisins and black currant can get burnt if they are not well soaked.