I have attempted making pull apart bread several times…let me tell you exactly how many times, 4 times ( if i do not count the cover ups..I never wanted to make this bread, the yeast failed yet again…this kind of bread is not fluffy..etc). Well, you might think I have great perseverance. Not always, but with this bread I did not feel like giving up. This bread has that artistic edge to it.
So this time with my new found secret (YES!!) bread flour recipe I made yet another attempt. The bread actually needs good quality ingredients else it may become sticky at the center where you place the cheese or butter.
Now before you forget about the bread flour..we do not get good quality bread flour easily in India. Even if we do, it is pretty expensive especially if you are like me experimenting where the chances of recipe going bust is higher. After reading a lot about bread flour and its textures, I made my own version.
3 1/2 cups Whole wheat Bread flour
2/3 cup milk + 2 tbsp milk
1/4 cup water
1/2 cup oil/ 75 gm butter
2 1/4 tspn active dry yeast
2 tspn salt
2 tbsp sugar
25-30 gm cheese (cheddar or parmesan)
2 tspn black pepper crushed
1 tspn mixed herbs (oregano, basil, rosemary)
1) Mix the milk, oil ,sugar and butter and warm it till the mixture is homogeneous
2) Set aside the milk mixture till it is warm.
3) Mix the flour with salt and yeast.
4) Make a well in the flour basin, add the milk mixture and start kneading till it is soft and pliable about 10 min.
5) Set aside the dough for 30 min in a warm place.
6) In the mean grate the cheese, mix it with pepper and mixed herbs.
7) Take the dough and knead it again.
8) Make 6 parts of the dough.
9) Roll out each dough preferably in rectangular shape.
10) Cut 4 equal size shapes approximately the size equal to the depth of your bread pan.
11) Brush each square with milk.
12) Sprinkle the cheese pepper mixture on it.
13) Stack the four slices on top of each other and set aside.
14) Repeat with remaining 5 balls of dough.
15) Grease the loaf pan with oil or butter
16) Hold the loaf tin, vertical and start stacking the dough squares on top of each other.
17) Let it stand for another 20 min or till they cover the tin’s length.
18) Preheat the oven at 170c for 5-10 min
19) Bake the bread for 25 to 30 min or till it sounds hollow when tapped.
20) Brush with milk and bake for 5 more minutes.
Start pulling apart and enjoy