The other way of enjoying the noodle bowl is when you would like to arrange a steam boat party. You can call over friends of your own of your kids and arrange them around a table. On the table place various topping in a bowl. The noodles should be freshly cooked in small batches though for each serving in a boiling pot of water – The steam boat. The rest of the toppings would be as per their liking. You could use a electric rice cooker.
I did not arrange for my friends or my son’s but enjoyed this along with him. He really liked the idea of getting to choose his toppings. You try this fun activity during this summer
1 packet of flat rice noodles / any other noodles you would like
1/2 cup chopped cabbage /purple cabbage
1/2 cup bean sprouts
1/2 spring onion including greens
1/2 cup carrots chopped in julienne
1/2 cup paneer/ tofu
1/2 cup crispy fried noodles (optional)
2 tspn soya sauce
2 tspn chilli sauce
2 tspn vinegar
1 tspn crushed garlic
black pepper crushed
salt to taste
1) In a large pot of boiling water add salt, black pepper and crushed garlic.
2) Add one vegetable at a time and boil it for few minutes until it is slightly cooked (yet crunchy)
3) Drain and keep in separate bowls.
4) In other bowls arrange all the other toppings – paneer, noodles , spring onions and the sauces.
5) Provide a flat serving bowl to each individual.
6) Now in the boiling water, add one serving of noodles at a time. When they rise to the surface, drain it using a strainer and serve in each bowl.
7) Ask them to help with required toppings.
This needs to be served hot and instantaneously.
Sorry for the dull pictures…but we went crazy doing this activity late evening. My son said it felt like he was fishing in the pond (a new activity he has recently understood) using his small mesh. I highly recommend this for kids