Besides the granny and aunts, I also have some fond memories of my cousins who loved to spend their time making variety of papad during our summer vacation. Each year there was the same stock plus something new. Things are still the same with most of them who are now married off and probably enjoying their summers with their new families. When I thought of making one of the many papad at home, I also planned to call up all of them to catch up in general as I went about making them….
while I am at stage 1 with papad they have graduated to making varieties that not the choicest chefs in world would think of….soya sauce flavored rice papad, tomato basil papad, mixed flour papad…so much for your little brain to cultivate. You know now, where I have set my eyes for next summer…dont you?
Ingredients (for about 20 medium sized papads)
1 cup Tapioca pearls/ Sabudana
2 tspn Cumin seeds
salt to taste
1) Soak the sabudana pearls for atleast 2 hours (start like at 6 AM in the morning)
2) After 2 hours, remove the water if any.
3) Now add twice the amount of water of the fluffed sabudana
4) Add salt and cumin seeds and mix well.
5) Heat on medium flame till the solution appears thick and transparent. About 15 min
6) Spread out a plastic sheet and find a sunny spot in your house.
7) Using a laddle drop the sabudana mixture to form small papads.
8) Lay this out in the sun for 2 days. Take inside during the night.
9) The edges will start getting lifted as they start drying.
Store in air tight box when it is completely dry.
Deep fry and eat them even when fasting 🙂