I wanted to try steamed wonton since the longest time but never got around making it.
Last night for dinner when I decided to make few batches of wontons, I split them in equal quantities , 1 batch for frying and other for steaming.
Luckily we enjoyed the steamed version as much and decided to go for all steamed soup.
wonton strips (pattis will do)
1 cup grated cabbage
1 cup grated carrots
1 small spring onion finely chopped (including greens)
1 tbsp hot and sweet tomato sauce (you can use ketchup + red chilly sauce)
1 tspn soy sauce
1 tspn ginger paste
1 tspn Oil
salt to taste
black pepper to taste
1 cup chopped vegetables( spring onions, capsicum, beans, carrots, beansprouts, cabbage)
2 tspn soy sauce
1 tspn vinegar
1 tbsp corn flour slurry
1 tspn chopped garlic cloves
4 green chillies finely chopped
2 tspn oil
1) In a large pan, heat some oil, add all the vegetables and ginger paste for the wontons stuffing.
2) Saute until it is completely dry
3) Add the seasonings, sauces and continue stirring until it becomes a dry again. Set aside to cool down
4) Dip the wonton strips in water till they become pliable. Watch out as the strips may become difficult to manage if they are dry or too wet.
5) Take a square wonton strip, place the filling in the centre.
6) Fold the strip diagonally and press all the ends, use water if required.
7) This becomes a triangle now.
8) Fold the 2 ends over each other to wrap them on one side.Lightly press to seal.
9) The third end should be folder on the backside.
10) In a large pot, heat water until it comes to a running boil.
11) Reduce the flame, add the prepared wontons to the pot. They will come to the surface when they are done. Using a slotted spoon lift them out.
12) In another pan, heat some oil.
13) Add the chopped garlic, green chillies and saute.
14) Add all the vegetables on high flame and saute till they are stop sizzling.
15) Now add 4 cups of water, corn flour slurry , soy sauce and vinegar.
16) Add the seasonings (salt and pepper) if needed.
17) Let it boil till it becomes thick.
18) Serve in a soup bowl, topped with steam wontons and spring onion greens.