Initial reaction from my mother, when I served her during an impromptu visit, was – serve with some pickle, your father does not enjoy bland food.
I resisted the urge to tell her that it is a flavor packed meal. But I let my food do the talking. This was a simple meal made under 30 min.
1 cup long grained basmati rice
1/2 cup chopped button mushrooms
1 medium firm tomato finely chopped
1 black cardamom
1 tspn crushed cumin seeds
1 tspn crushed black pepper
1 inch cinnamon stick
1 tspn ginger garlic paste
2 tbsp Clarified Butter/ Ghee
1 cube of cheddar cheese, cut in small pea size cubes
salt to taste
1) Wash the rice under tap water. Let it stand until you finish the preps
2) In a deep pan, heat ghee
3) Add the ginger garlic paste. Saute it well
4) Next add the chopped mushrooms, saute for few minutes
5) Next add the cumin seeds, black pepper, cinnamon stick and cardamom.
6) Add the tomatoes. Gently stir. Dont mash the tomatoes else it will ooze out color and juices that will change the texture and taste of the rice.
7) Now add the rice along with 2 cups of water and salt
8) Cover the pot and let it cook (you can move to rice cooker at this stage)
9) When the rice is cooked, try fluffing it with a fork
10) Serve hot , topped with cheese cubes.
As a side dish you can serve boondi raita or plain curd.