While I was searching easier options, I liked what I found at Rajani’s space. Her version is something I have tried often. I tried to recreate without much of change.
2 cups Split Black Lentil/ Urad Dal
2 cups curd/ yogurt
2 tbsp Tamarind Date Chutney*
2 tspn roasted cumin powder
2 tspn red chilli powder
a pinch of chat masala (optional)
sugar and salt to taste
Oil to deep fry
1) Soak the washed urad dal for min of 4-6 hours in plenty water
2) Grind the soaked urad dal with as almost no water as much as possible
3) Add salt to the ground dal and mix well
4) In a deep frying pan, add sufficient oil. Heat it
5) Now using spoon or fingers, drop small balls of the ground dal.
6) Cook it on low flame until it is nicely cooked and crunchy
7) Once done, remove them using a slotted spoon and drop in a bowl containing water.
8) Let it soak for 10 -20 min. Strain and let it stand in a colander (No need to squeeze the wadas)
9) Now in another large serving bowl, add the beaten curd (strain through a mesh if required to make it smooth)
10) Add salt, sugar, chilli powder, tamarin chutney, chat masala and cumin powder as per taste.
11) Add the wadas to this mixture and chill it in the refrigerator
12) Serve the dahi wadas sprinkled with more spices as per choice
* Tamarind chutney can be prepared by mixing the tamarind pulp, jaggery, dates, roasted cumin powder, salt and boiling it till it is well mixed.