I dont know still what I missed, but I definitely did not like to miss her tiramisu each time we went there.
I told her one day that I am going back home, she quickly asked, do you have a coffee filter at home, I nodded (though I did not have one, and I was not cooking those days- who does when you are young and have mom doing it for you ). She quickly wrote the recipe IN ITALIAN for me. She said, it is very easy. If you dont like eggs, simply replace them with more cream and beat it harder. Remember to trap more air.
I still have the paper, and refer it just for the memories….I got my act right with tiramisu eventually….and have ensured to have a fan base at home who enjoys it as much.
Ingredients (to serve 5 people)
10 – 15 Savioardi Biscuits (or sponge cake if you dont have these else click for recipe)
2 cups Fresh Cream or Whipped cream
2 cups Mascarpone Cheese
1.5 cups Icing Sugar
1 cup express black coffee (stronger the better)
1/2 cup Cocoa powder
1 tspn Drinking chocolate (optional)
1) Beat the Mascarpone along with Icing sugar using a electric beater. Add icing sugar 1 tbsp at a time and keep tasting. It should be slightly sweeter than the required taste.
2) Beat the fresh cream until soft peaks are formed.
3) Add 3/4 of the whipped cream to the Mascarpone mixture and fold it using a spatula
4) Take the biscuits and dip it in expresso, start laying it in a deep dish. Try not to dip the biscuits for longer than 1 sec. They will absorb the coffee slowly
5) Once the biscuits are laid, spread half othe mascarpone mixture
6) Repeat the layering.
7) Spread the whipped cream on the top.
8) Take the cocoa and drinking chocolate together, using a strainer tap it on the top.
9) Freeze this for minimum 30 min.
10) Serve with a cup of coffee.