However, when my ever bankable Mrs. K told me that she has a small turmeric tree in her compound, she compelled me to try the recipe.
She said, they never taste pungent infact it lends a sweet floral taste. She was indeed right about it. The thing I noticed is that she discasrded all the bigger leaves and used the smaller tender one’s maybe that helped.
8-10 turneric leaves
1 cup rice flour
1 cup water
a pinch of salt
1/2 cup grated fresh coconut
3 tbsp jaggery
1 tspn sugar
a pinch of cardamom powder
1) Prepare the filling by mising the ingredients and heating in a pan until it comes together and looks glossy.
2) Set aside the filling to cool
3) In another pan, heat the wayer with the salt. When it comes to a running boil, add the rice flour. Stir once and cover the pan.
4) After a minute, remove the lid and take the vessel off the flame.
5) Now in a large basin, take the dough and knead it using little water to form a soft pliable dough.
6) Take small balls and roll it out on the turmeric leave (grease it if they are sticking to the dough)
7) Spoon the filling on the top and simply folder over
8) Steam these prepared leaves for 12-15 min.
9) Remove, pull apatrt the leaves gently, serve with hot ghee on top.