I have almost fallen in love with the kalonji taste as it gives such a fantastic twist to the otherwise predictable taste of any dal.
You must try this one for the goodness of Kalonhi (nigella seeds)…you can mix any kind of dal.
1 cup mix lentils Red lentils, Black gram, split bengal gram, split pigeon peas
(Masoor, Urad, Chana, Toovar)
1 onion finely chopped
1 tspn ginger garlic paste
1 tspn kalonji
1 tspn turmeric powder
1 tspn red chilli powder
salt to taste
1 tbsp Oil
1) Cook the dals in 1.5 cups of water using a pressure cooker or otherwise until it is soft.
2) Using the back of the ladle lightly crush the cooked dal
3) In a deep sauce pan heat some oil.
4) Add the kalonji seeds and let it crackle.
5) Add the ginger garlic paste and saute it
6) Add the chopped onions and saute again
7) Add the turmeric and red chilli powder and mix well
8) Add the crushed dal mixture and water as needed
9) Add salt to taste and cover the pot
10) Cook for 10-12 min or until the dal comes to a running boil.
Garnish and serve.