2.5 cups Chickpea flour
1 cup Oil
1 cup Water
1 tspn baking soda
1 tspn Carrom seeds(Ajwain)
1 tspn black pepper (optional)
a pinch of asafoetida (hing)
a pinch of turmeric (optional)
salt to taste
Oil for deep frying
1) Crush the ajwain and black pepper to a coarse powder
2) In a bowl, whisk the oil and water to form a frothy mixture
3) Add salt, ajwain,black pepper, hing to this and mix again.
4)Sift the chickpea flour with baking soda. Add the water and oil mixture to form a stiff dough. Add more flour, if required
5)Grease the press, fitted with the right shape mould. Form a dough ball and place it in the press.
) Heat the oil , reduce to low medium flame. Start pressing the dough to drop the sev directly in the hot oil. Form a nest swiftly.
7) Let it cook till light golden. Flip over and then remove and strain.
8) When cooled, slightly crush it.
9) Store in air tight container.