After making a large cake – which could be either for my kid’s birthday or for friends and family who sometimes join me in my madness. The byproducts of my expeditions are usually large batches of icing sugar, chocolate bars , whipped cream.
Then follows series of cakes and cookies that are in an attempt to reuse the ingredients to the maximum capacity.
A few months back, a friend of mine asked me bake 100 cupcakes for her daughter’s birthday. Her daughter did not appreciate any kind of icing so I frosted her cupcakes partly with whipped cream and partly with chocolate ganache- The ganache was mixed with icing sugar to make a thicker icing. Since I made blackforest cupcakes, I made a lot of filling using fresh cherries, glaced cherries, frozen cherries. Basically my fridge was full of nuts, chocolate ganache, fresh cream ,cherries.
This is how the cake and many more came into making, this is the cake that my MIL said was the best cake to date. Although the cake appeared like brownie cake it was also very close to the texture of a plum cake but because it had chocolate and not cocoa powder, there was a hint of brownie like crunchiness.
1 cup chocolate ganache (melted 100 gms chocolate and 50 gms full fat cream)
3/4 cup All purpose flour/ Maida
1 tspn baking powder
1 tspn baking soda
1.5 cup sugar
1/2 cup mixed nuts crushed (almonds, cashews, pistachios)
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup curd
1 tbsp roughly chopped cranberries
1 tbsp tutti frutti
1 tspn vanilla extract
1) In a bowl, add the sugar, butter and beat it until it is light and creamy
2) Add the curd to this mixture along with vanilla essence and beat it well
3) Mix the Flour with baking powder and soda. Take a spoonful of this mixture and mix with nuts, cranberries and tutti frutti in another bowl
4) Add the chocolate ganache to the sugar mixture and mix it well
5) To this gradually add the flour mixture and fold it well
6) Add the nuts mixture to this batter
7) Bake this in a 10 inch round pan for 25 min at 180c in a preheated oven
8) Cool this on a wirerack
9) Top it with more chocolate ganache if you like