Down south , rice forms the major carb component so it is only natural to have plenty of varieties out there. I picked the simplest and purest of them all
Lemon Rice and Rasam.
1 cup basmati rice
1 tspn split black lentil (soaked in water)
1 tspn split bengal gram (soaked in water)
1 dried red chilli
1 tspn turmeric powder
2 tbsp lemon rice
1 tspn mustard seeds
1 pinch of asafoetida
1 sprig of curry leaves
Oil – about 2 tbsp
salt to taste
1) Cook the rice as per your regular method, a bit undercooked – 90% done
2) Drain any excess water and let it cool down, fluff it up
3) In a large wok, add some oil and let it be hot,
4) Add the mustard seeds and let it crackle.
5) Add the asafoetida, curry leaves and red chilli
6) Now add the gram and lentils, drained from water.
7) Add the turmeric powder and lower the flame to avoid it from burning.
8) Now mix in the rice and gently blend it with the spices
9) Add the lemon juice and mix it well
Serve with rasam or sambhar and some appalam.