Whenever I get homesick away from home, there are a few things that comfort me instantaneously – dal rice or rice based dish always does that….
Kedgeree is the Anglicised version of our very own khichdi. Interestingly, you can also find this in many small pubs and shacks on the southern tip. The kedgeree, the non vegetarian version is no where closer to what we are used to but has a very distinctive homey feel…I think it falls between pulao and risotto…
After making your rice you can add in the fish or meat of your choice and season it and then bake it.
I did not do any of this and followed the recipe here to make mine
1 cup Basmati/ long grained rice
1/4 cup split green gram/ moong dal
1 small onion finely Chopped
1 small potato peeled and diced
1 tspn crushed garlic
1 carrot diced
1 cup broccoli
1/4 cup green peas
1 tspn black pepper
1 tspn cumin seeds
2 tbsp Ghee
salt to taste
1) Wash and soak the rice and green grams for 20-30 min
2) In a pan, heat oil, add the cumin seeds, garlic and onions. Saute it for few min
3) Next add the vegetables, potatoes, carrots, broccoli, green peas and saute well
4) Add the rice and dal and season it with black pepper and salt.
5) Add 2.5 cups of water and let it cook
6) When the rice is done, serve it with fresh curd or as is.