This upma flavored semolina bread has become a regular breakfast feature at my home. We have it plain, with tea, with curd , ketchup or just with a dollop of ghee. It tastes simply awesome and always comes out right.
My kid loves having his dishes in the shape of his initials , so it works for me to make this one for his short recess tiffin pack.
3 1/2 cups fine semolina
1-2 cups warm water
2 tbsp sugar
2 1/4 tspn instant dry yeast
2 tspn salt
2 tbsp Vegetable Oil
1 tspn mustard seeds
1 tspn cumin seeds
1 tspn soaked split bengal gram/ chana dal
1 tspn soaked split black lentil/ urad dal
1 sprig of curry leaves finely sliced
1 tspn green chilli paste
1 tspn ginger paste
1 pinch of asafoetida
1 tspn of Vegetable oil
1) Prepare the tempering – heat oil in a small pan, add the mustard seeds. When they start crackling, add the asafoetida and cumin seeds. Next add all the other tempering items and stir it well. Set it aside
2) In a pan, add the semolina, sugar and salt. Mix well using a whisk. Add the yeast, and the tempering.
3) Now add the warm water little at a time. The dough should be soft like chapati.
4) Let this rise on the side for an hour or until it doubles in size.
5) Preheat oven at 200C
6) Now shape your buns as per your choice.
7) Place them on the baking sheet and bake for 15 min or until it sounds hollow when tapped.